Free Gardening course!
Free “drop in” gardening course to be held in the Training Centre of Devonport Park from 21st September 2015 to March 2016. The schedule is below and will run on Monday mornings from 10.30am. Places limited to 13 and offered on a first come, first served basis. Tutor is our very own Dennis Trewin, Kew trained, who runs the Horticultural Therapy Trust based at Penlee allotments. If interested please contact Dennis via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mobile: 07908 107145.
Gardening Course drop in Sessions and dates.
- Sept 21st. Walk around the park to identify the plants growing here.
- Oct.5th. Soil , its origin and types ,Theory session Health and safety .
- Oct19th Soil preparation how to dig safely. Tool Maintenance.
- Nov 2nd Plants, How they work. Covering main parts.
- Nov 16th Sowing seeds indoors Practical session. Large medium and small seed methods.
- Nov 30th Sowing seeds outdoors in drills and broadcasting
- Dec 14th Plant propagation. Practical tips on how to divide, layer ,take cuttings.
- January 4th Simple pruning methods, when to prune , how to prune. What to prune.
- Janth 18th maintaining a flower bed , digging, edging and weeding. Practical base.
- Feb 1st making a successful compost heap. Practical session.
- Feb 15th Hedges, types , when and how to trim. Practical
- Feb 29th Planting shrubs,bedding plants and vegetables.
- March 14th. Pests & Diseases. How to recognise & deal with them